There are a lot of exciting launches taking place right now in the business that we adore, which is the video game industry. Even though the season of spring on the calendar has not started yet, new book titles have been coming out for a few weeks now like Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe, and they look to be thriving – both in the context of those from the higher shelves and those from the lower shelves. It seems that with each passing day, new intriguing video games that are definitely worth checking out are being released to the public.
Although it should be mentioned that in the past, it was quite average in this respect – in fact, the only large premiere was Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon – it is important to highlight that Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon was the only major premiere. In actuality, however, this is nothing that has the potential to win the hearts of people all over the world, and the most recent sales of games in the Land of the Rising Sun, which were published in Famitsu, reveal that the results are very sluggish. In any case, have a look at how the top 10 finished:
Game sales in Japan (13/03 – 19/03)
- [NS] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe – 25 201 (Total: 308 945)
- [NS] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet – 15,306 (Total: 4,944,593)
- [NS] Splatoon 3 – 12,100 (Total: 3,946,727)
- [NS] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,245 (Total: 5,203,335)
- [NS] Minecraft – 6,672 (Total: 3,074,692)
- [NS] Bayonetta Origins: Cherry and the Lost Demon –
- [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy – 5,622 (Total: 154,174)
- [NS] Nintendo Switch Sports – 5507 (Total: 1 030 666)
- [NS] Octopath Traveler II – 4,707 (Total: 80,526)
- [NS] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,289 (Total: 5,145,376)
As you can see, there is no sanity in this situation. Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe, whose sales in Japan have already surpassed 300,000, continues to be at the top of the list. It is also important to note that Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Splatoon 3 are getting closer and closer to reaching their respective milestones of 5 million and 4 million units sold. Both scenarios are likely going to be resolved over the next few weeks.